P2D Project: Accelerating Precision Agriculture to Decision Agriculture
This project is supported by funding from the Australian Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources as part of its Rural R&D for Profit programme. The P2D project involves all Rural Research and Development Corporations, and is focused on three main aims:
- Facilitating the development of digital technology in Australian agriculture.
- Fostering the establishment of appropriate legal frameworks, data systems and access to critical datasets.
- Identifying the data communications systems required to deliver the benefits of digital agriculture to the Australia farm and agribusiness sectors.
Download the programme brochure.
New laws should give Australian farmers more control over data (6 February 2017)
Growers establish their 'Big Data' requirements (29 November 2016)
P2D Cross-industry survey
A national survey is being conducted to better understand the needs and issues facing Australian producers in relation to using digital technology and agricultural data.
The survey will be conducted by the CSIRO in collaboration with the agricultural research company KG2, who will invite a broad cross section of Australian producers to take part in the phone survey.
Precision to Decision National Workshops
- 5 December 2016 – Gatton QLD: Horticulture industries (already held in 2016)
- 1 March 2017 – Townsville QLD: Sugar and Horticulture industry focus + other industries*
- 2 March 2017 – Tamworth NSW: Meat, Wool, Grains and Cotton Industries
- 16 March 2017 – Northam WA: Grains, Wool and Meat industries
- 28 March 2017 – Wagga Wagga NSW: Grains, Rice and Pork industries
- 29 March 2017 – Tatura VIC: Dairy industry focus + other industries*
- 30 March 2017 – Launceston TAS: Forestry industry focus + other industries*
- 27 April 2017 – Barossa Valley SA: Grape and Wine industry focus + other industries*
* Plus any other regional ag industries interested in use of precision ag and big data analytics
Registration invitation is open to all agricultural producers and their supporting advisors, and those in the agriculture supply chain. Places are limited and workshop registration is required one week prior to the event.
Send registrations to email@example.com or fax to 02 6282 1219.
These eight workshops will be held with a diverse range of agricultural industries over the next six months. These workshops aim to:
- Identify your current and future information needs, and uncover any emerging issues in relation to data usage and access in your industry. This information will be used to identify opportunities for cross industry collaboration in supporting big data systems for Australian agriculture.
- Provide strategic direction for your industry Research & Development Corporation – for investment in big data systems and analytics.
The P2D Project has featured in two recent issues of the Farm Institute Insights newsletter, Accelerating precision agriculture to decision agriculture (August 2016) and Big data cooperatives in the United States (November 2016).
Meat and Livestock Australia
Grains Research and Development Corporation
Sugar Research Australia
Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation
Australian Wool Innovation
Horticulture Innovation Australia
Australian Pork Limited
Australian Grape & Wine Authority
Forestry and Wood Products Australia
Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
Australian Meat Processing Corporation
Australian Livestock Export Corporation Limited
Australian Egg Corporation Limited
University of New England
Australian Farm Institute
University of the Sunshine Coast